If you have an artifact that you would like to donate to the SC Confederate Relic Room and Military Museum, please review the questions below. For questions about donations or to schedule an appointment, contact Curator of Exhibits and Collections Chelsea Sigourney, via email or call 803-737-8094.
- How does the donation process work?
- Fill out an Object Donation Form, and send this to the Registrar
- The Registrar will present the object and information to the Collections Committee
- If preliminary approval is acquired, the Registrar will contact you to make an appointment to bring in the object(s) you wish to donate
- The Registrar will complete a Temporary Deposit Form and Incoming Condition Report for you to sign when you bring in your object
- The Collections Committee will meet to discuss and vote on whether the object(s) meets the goals of the Collections Plan.
- The Registrar will contact you after the meeting. If the committee decides to accept the object(s), the Registrar will send two copies of a deed of gift in the mail (formally transferring the object to the Museum). Sign one copy and return the other in the enclosed stamped envelope. If the committee does not accept the object(s), the Registrar will contact you to make arrangements to return your property and may recommend other museums that might be interested.
- What kind of artifacts does the Museum collect?
Items collected must have a connection with the military history of South Carolina from the 16th –21st century; or they must show how this state’s military history has been influenced by, or reflected in, the state’s political and cultural development; or must be relevant to this state’s role in the military history of the United States of America. Artifacts meeting these criteria, but of secondary value may be accepted into the museum’s study collection
- How do I find out if the Museum is interested in taking an artifact I may wish to donate?
If your object meets the above criteria, please fill out an Object Donation form, and send it to the Registrar with any relevant information about your offer such as who owned it, who made it, how it was used, and any associated stories or biographical details. The Registrar will report the object and its history to the Collections Committee. If approved as a potential donation, the Registrar will contact you to make an appointment to see the object in person.
- Can I leave artifacts I wish to donate at the Museum’s front desk?
No. The Museum does not accept drop-off donations. Please contact the Registrar before you bring a potential donation to the Museum.
- Will the Museum accept my object as a loan?
The Museum’s Collection Policy restricts the Museum from accepting long-term loans. The Museum can only accept objects loaned for a specific exhibit over a defined period of time.
- What if I do not want to donate but want to bring it in to ask staff questions?
Contact Chelsea Grayburn, Registrar, via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or call 803-737-8094 to schedule an appointment. NOTE: The museum does not appraise artifacts.