Closed Monday but opened for appointments

Tuesday – Saturday 10 – 5 PM

Open first Sunday of every month 1-5 for Dollar Sunday

Closed all state holidays except Confederate Memorial Day and Veteran’s Day!
Virtual Learning banner
Exhibits banner
Calendar banner
Commission Meeting banner
Membership banner

The SC Confederate Relic Room and Military Museum features exhibits that focus on South Carolina's military history.  Experience the museum's mission by exploring the museum’s three galleries when you visit.

While touring the Main Gallery, trace the state's martial tradition through every American conflict from the Revolutionary War to the present.

The Cistern Gallery, located in what was the cistern for the mill building, houses large-scale exhibits that are on display for 1-2 years.

Small specialized exhibits are on display for a limited time in the Malvina Gist Gallery, located inside the Main Gallery.  

Click the links below to see what special exhibits are on view or coming soon.

SC in Vietnam

Vietnam Display
Vietnam Display

Specialist Frank Marshall and his comrades in the 2nd of the 506th, 101st Airborne Division, fought the very last major battle Americans experienced during the Vietnam War.

It’s regarded as one of the bloodiest fights of the war. They lost 139 men, and hundreds of others were wounded. And no one back home even knew about it.

“When we first got home, nobody would believe us, nobody wanted to hear,” he remembers now. “We were in one of the worst battles of the war, and nobody even knows about it.”

And now, you can know more. The South Carolina Confederate Relic Room and Military Museum has unveiled its new diorama of Fire Support Base Ripcord, designed and constructed by the Wildcat Chapter, Armor Modeling and Preservation Society. The meticulously detailed diorama, which shows the entire base and hill it was on, will be the first piece of the museum’s major Vietnam exhibit that will open fully in the fall.

Ripcord was located several miles south of “Hamburger Hill” in the A Shau valley, where soldiers of the same division had sustained heavy losses in May 1969. That battle was the subject of a Hollywood movie, unlike the one a year later.

Fierce fighting against the North Vietnamese Army occurred in and around Ripcord between March 12 and July 23, 1970. Three Medals of Honor and six Distinguished Service Crosses were awarded to participants for actions during the final 23 days in July, when the combat was continuous.

For Frank and the other guys in A Company, it started when they flew in on helicopters on March 12. “The NVA were just hitting us with everything.” His lieutenant, and a couple of other guys in the company, were killed. It would take the battalion until April 15 to establish the base, getting the artillery in place.

While Bravo company dug in on the base’s perimeter, Frank’s unit patrolled farther out. Their mission was to protect the artillery, which was there to support a planned offensive by the 101st to destroy NVA supply bases in the area. The only way in or out was by helicopter.

The troops protecting the base experienced periodic firefights until July 2. From then on, the fighting went on without letup. And they got little support. The U.S. government was cutting back on the U.S. ground combat role – President Nixon had started withdrawing troops the previous year – and there just wasn’t enough help available.

“We fought ’em all day” on July 22, Frank says. “At the end of the day, the only thing that saved our lives was we called in a danger-close airstrike.” Alpha had 14 dead, and 56 wounded. Frank himself had been hit three times. The third time happened while a medic was treating his second wound. Then, the F-4 Phantom dropped its 250-pound bomb on the U.S. position. That, finally, drove off the enemy long enough for the Americans to evacuate.

Come learn more about the Battle of Fire Support Base Ripcord now in the atrium of the museum.